Saturday, January 15, 2011

Back to the Swing of Things!

This week has been crazy and apparently I am not the best blogger out there, I have a tendency to forget oops!! On Wednesday I baked the most amazing chocolate oatmeal cookies, from the betty crocker cookie book! The recipe is fantastic and uses a lot more oats than most oatmeal cookies call for, which I personally love.  While the cookies were baking, Ali and I watched Going the Distance with Drew Barrymore and Justin Long, it was one of the best romantic comedies I have seen in a while and highly recommend it for a lighthearted movie.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Looks gross but the leftovers from Annie's Bday cake (marble)

On Thursday, I managed to squeeze in my 6 mile run between classes.  I think I'm going to like my new schedule, it allows for a nice break where I can actually be productive.  Thursday night, Drew and I went to Poogan's Porch downtown for an amazing pre-birthday dinner.  We had fried alligator and oysters for appetizers and I had their famous shrimp and grits and Drew had their pork chop with mac and cheese.  It was a very nice night, we rarely go out to eat so it was a nice change!

Friday morning was very hectic, I managed to put together a breakfast sandwich for breakfast as I ran out the door.  I used 1 egg and 1 egg white with a morningstar breakfast sausage, sandwiched between a sandwich thin (I was very impressed with how quickly I threw it together, but a luna bar wasn't going to cut it this morning).
Quick and Easy!

Friday, I decided to make a breakfast casserole for breakfast on Saturday.  My sister, Lee, made an amazing breakfast casserole over Christmas and I was dying to try out the recipe.  She used one from Cooking Light, but after some research online I decided to make my own breakfast casserole (not as healthy but still delicious).
All the ingredients 
Sourdough Boule, Egg mixture and Sausage
All together for an overnight soak :)
Recipe for Sausage Casserole:
1 small loaf of sourdough bread (cut in cubes)
1 cup of cheese
9 eggs
2 cups of milk
12 oz reduced fat pork sausage (or turkey sausage if you can find it)
Salt, pepper, and about 1 tsp of dry mustard

Line a greased pan with the bread
Combine the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, mustard together; then after combined add the cheese
Cook the sausage and sprinkle the sausage on top of the bread
Pour the combined egg concoction over the top
Cover, refridge overnight
Allow to sit for 30 minutes before putting it in the oven at 325-350 for 45 minutes
Enjoy :)

The casserole was perfect for Saturday morning (afternoon) and the boys all seemed to love it.  I love sourdough bread and it was 50% off so I decided it was fate and I should probably use it!  I have definitely been enjoying the leftovers today :).  I will definitely plan to make this again, its so easy and you can really adapt it to anyway you like it.  

Boys for Drew's Birthday night

Off to making a late dinner, need to carbo load for my long run tomorrow!! :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment